A little bit late on my status update but here we go.
First up, I’ve been needing to create a new table to house both my 2D and 3D printers so I spent some time working on that over the weekend. Nothing too fancy. Just some plywood and then some black paint.
I am also in the process of creating a box for my 3D printer to both contain the heat and ABS plastic smell. The windows will use some acrylic plastic and then I plan to add some carbon filters and a fan to the back to help regulate the air flow. Can’t just let it become like an oven.
Next up, I had a request come in for a Sakura Sealing Staff. I am pretty booked up, but the requester does not mind if it will take a long time, so I have been putting it together in between projects. First, I got some of the spare parts I had cast before and cleaned them up and primed them.
And for something fun for my cats, I printed a simple snack play ball.
And now the main event. Here are some progress shots of Kirito’s sword from SAO. I printed out the pattern for the sword and taped it to some 6″ x 48″ x 1/2″ poplar wood.
I then used my bandsaw to cut out the blade. I used the jigsaw for the inside cuts. I of course had to drill a hole to fit the blade into it.
And here the blade has been given an edge. I used my jigsaw and set it to cut at a 45 degree angle and went around the entire blade.
Next I primed the sword so that I could see what defects I need to clean up. (I almost forgot, I had to bondo up some of the cuts caused by the blade edging when I hit the corners).
Next, I drilled a hole into the middle to give me a connection for inserting an aluminum rod and cut a 7/8″ dowel rod to 8″ in length.
Finally, I designed the final detail pieces in google sketchup. I plan to cheat and make use of my 3D printer to print out these parts. Most of them would be doable to cut and rout from wood.