This project is the Void Sword from the anime Guilty Crown that Ouma Shu uses.
For this build, I decided not to get to complex and just focus on the simple shapes and general feel of the weapon. I chose not to capture all of the detail on the hilt. One reason being that I had 1 month until the convention I was going to. I also chose to make the sword smaller than what it would have been in the anime as I wanted something easy to carry around and wouldn’t get in the way too much.
I started off by tracing the full body pattern on some oak plywood and insulation foam. The oak will help support the structure of the sword while the foam fills out the rest of the body while leaving the sword light. My plywood was a bit short, so I had to split up the piece, as you can see in the upper left hand corner.
Next, I cut out all of the pieces with my jigsaw. This kind of weapon is where the jigsaw shines as there are so many curves and angles, plus it was a huge piece. I used wood glue to put the two pices of plywood together.
A quick test fit of the pieces to make sure they were cut correctly.
Time to glue the foam to the wood! My choice of adhesive for insulation foam is liquid nails, the panel and foam version.
With all of the pieces glued to the correct spots, it was time to round off the edges. I used a mixture of 100 grit and 220 grit sand paper. 100 grit for the initial shaping then 220 grit to smooth out the foam better.
Now it is time for the smaller details that go onto the blade. Here I used foam board cut to the correct shapes.
Next I glued them on. I believe I used liquid nails again as using E-6000 would have been a bad choice as it would have been too near the insulation foam. E-6000 + insulation foam = melted foam.
I forgot to take more shots of the next process. Basically I used Smooth-On’s Smooth-Cast 300 as a protective shell. I honestly did not like using it, I was using it to see how well it would work. I cures fast but runs a lot while brushing it on. So I had a lot of frozen “drips” to sand down and clean up. There were also a ton of bumps. Next time I do a large insulation foam prop I will consider getting some styrofoam. I filled in gaps with wood filler. Bondo probably would have been a better choice on the bigger gaps.
Next, I primed the whole sword.
I then painted the blade portion with silver metalic paint.
I then covered the silver with blue painter’s tape so that I could paint the rest of the sword.
And finally, I painted the rest of the sword with some neato color shift paint I got at lowes. It shifts color from dark blue to dark purple. It does require a black layer of paint before hand. It did help make the sword look more “void” like.
Overall, the sword turned out pretty well. It was one of my more rushed props, which shows when you look at it up close.
You can find the plans I used with the link below: