My very first step was creating a model in sketch up.
So for this build I kinda did it a bit weird. If I were to do it again, I would use the cardboard cement cylinders you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. But since I was unaware at the time I made the body out of lots and lots of circles of insulation foam.
As you can imagine, it was a pain to cut out. But I did. Here I stacked them all up to see what it would look like.
I then decided that I needed something to keep them all lined up properly and to give it a little more support. So I drilled a hole through each one then stuck a 1 inch dowel rod down.
Next, I glued all of them together with Liquid Nails, the Foam & Panel version. I did not glue the dowel at all, I wanted to be able to slide sections out for the next step.
Next step! I recently got myself a mini-lathe and I was itching to use it more so… I put each segment on and lathed it smoother.
And here are all the round parts lathed. The octogon shapes were of course cut straight.
I wasn’t too happy with how I had done the octogon, so I created an outter shell made of foam board. I also drilled holes with a forsnter drill bit for the pipes I plan to use for the middle section. I also used some very thin styrene I had and wrapped it around each cylinder to make it nice and smooth. (0.020 inch thick high impact styrene)
Glued together with more Liquid Nails and then wood filler for the gaps as shown above.
Next, time to get the pipes cut to the correct length! They are 6 inches in length. About 1 inch will be secured into each half, so 4 inches will be visible.
Time to glue the pipes in! I used Smooth Cast 300 and poured it down into each pipe (around the edges when I put on the 2nd half). I found this to secure it pretty well.
Next, I created the 2 handles. They are 6 inch long pipe sections with some pipe caps glued on.
I then used my drill press to drill deep straight holes for them.
Next I inserted the pipe handles and poured in some smooth cast 300 to seal it in. I also did a few layers of smooth cast 300 over the entire ice cannon. This was to help seal, smooth, and give it a little strength.
After sanding it all down with my Random Orbit Sander (thank goodness for power tools) I sprayed the cannon with primer followed by white paint.
Then to give it a nice “icy” look I used some sky blue spray paint and lightly sprayed it around in light streaks.
Finally, I attached the light to the end of the cannon. I forgot to take pictures of painting the light. Basically, it is a touch light you can buy at lowes or home depot. I took it apart and painted the light cover with the sky blue spray paint. I also secured the light with velcro so that I can easily remove the light to replace the batteries.
We then end up with this finished product. I probably spent way too much effort on the cylinders. If I end up making such a large cannon weapon again, I will use those cardboard tubes used for concrete.