This build is Marceline’s Bass Guitar from Adventure Time. This was a commission that was needed in time for A-Kon 23.
This guide will outline what I did for the second time around, using wood. If there is interest, I will post up an alternative guide where I used insulation foam.
My first step was to create this in Google Sketchup so that I have all of the dimensions correct. Here is the Marceline’s Bass Guitar Sketchup File
With my design ready, I traced the pattern out onto some MDF and oak plywood. The neck was made of pine. All of the pieces but the neck were cut with a bandsaw. To help make sure the prop would still stay light, I cut out a frame for the body so that the middle would be hollow. The body was made of 4 curved pieces of MDF glued together.
I glued the body together and made 2 small cuts in the lower right hand corner. I simply used a chisel to cut out the grooves. Once glued together, the first layer of primer went on.
I found that the plywood had a ton of tiny little grooves, so I spread some wood filler all over both sides and then sanded it down smooth. I also applied some bondo putty (the red you see) onto the bigger gaps that needed to be filled in.
The next step, I attached the neck to the body. I used 2 wood screws to help secure it. I used a forstner drill bit to drill some holes for the screw heads to hide in. Once attached, I did another layer of primer and sanded.
And here is a close up shot of the screw connectors. I did fill in the holes with bondo after this and sanded down smooth so that it is completely hidden.
Now it is time to do some painting! I first painted the edges black as that part would be easier to cover up for the red that follows. You can see the screw holes covered up with bondo in this picture.
Next, I used painters tape to cover up the black paint and to mark off where the smaller detail pieces will be glued to. I didn’t want to glue the pieces to the red paint, I wanted it to connect with the wood. I also drilled 1/4″ holes at the top for the string holders and tuners.
I somehow forgot to take a picture of it, but I next painted the body red. I then covered up the body and only exposed enough space to paint the silver lines. Again, I forgot to take a picture of this step too. Once the lines were painted, I covered them with tape and proceeded to paint the neck.
While I waited for the paint to dry, I cut out and painted the smaller detail pieces. The 2 top left pieces were from some scrap 1/2″ wood I had (the silver piece had to be adjusted to be 3/4″ thick). The top right pieces are bottle caps. I actually made a mold for these as I would be needing more for another guitar. The washers in the middle were painted black. The 2 bottom right pieces were cut from 1/4″ scrap wood I had. And the 4 bottom left pieces were cut from a 1/4″ dowel.
And for the tuners, I used some shelf pins.
With the paint dry on the guitar, I proceeded to mask off the black bars that go on the neck.
I then created a X mask for the top. I simply created a black X in a word document (225 font size) and printed it out.
I then attached the mask to the guitar and finshed covering up parts I did not want painted black.
I painted the neck and top black. Once that was done, I removed all of my masking and glued on all of the small detail pieces.
Looks like it is almost done! However, I still needed to make the spike for the bottom. I used a paper mache cone and cut it down to the correct size and filled it with smooth cast 300.
I then drilled out some of the smooth cast so that the bolt head I was using would fit in.
I attached the bolt head to the spike with JB Weld.
And finally, it was time to attach the strings. I used some silver stretchy string. I forget what it was called, but I got it at Hobby Lobby. The strings were attached with E-6000 glue.
I then cut down the string and the guitar is now complete! Here are some shots from different angles plus the overall shot.