[socialbuttons]This build is Kirito’s Elucidator from the anime Sword Art Online.
My first step was to create a google sketchup of the entire sword. You may download my model from here: Elucidator Sketchup Model
If there is interest, I can upload the STL files I generated for 3D printing, however, it should be easy to do yourself with Google Sketchup.
Once I had the plans in place, I went ahead and printed out the blade and taped it down to the 0.5x6x6 piece of poplar I bought.
I then proceeded to cut the blade out with my bandsaw. The harder to reach places, such as the hole in the middle, I drilled a starter hole and then used my jigsaw.
With the blade cut out, I now needed to give the blade some edge. I decided to use my jigsaw instead of my router for this step. I simply set my jigsaw to cut at a 45 degree angle.
Once both sides were edged I sanded it down, starting with some rough 80 grit sand paper and finishing with some 220 grit.
I then proceeded to coat it with some primer filler. This helps fill in any small holes and allows me to sand the entire blade to a nice smooth finish. Any big defects will also show up.
Now, to connect the blade to the hilt, I chose to go with drilling a hole down the middle of the blade so that I can insert a 1/4″ aluminum rod. I drilled it probably 3-4 inches deep. The sword is fairly lightweight so I don’t need the support going all the way up the blade. I also went ahead and cut my 7/8″ dowel down to 8 inches.
This is not the first project I have used 3D printed parts for before, but this is the first project where I have my own 3D printer. I took advantage of this and decided to print almost all detail parts with it. This saves me a ton of time (just let it print for a couple of hours while I do other things). Also, if there is a mistake, I can simply reprint it.
For the L shape part, I decided to make a mold of it. Do note, there are 2 printed L’s. 1 for the front, 1 for the back. I did this for 1 main reason, when I make another sword, I won’t have to do as much clean up. 3D printed parts are not perfectly smooth and require quite a bit of sanding. For smaller parts this is fine to do, such as the crosses. But for larger pieces, I did not consider it time effective in the long run.
Here is a shot of the hilt pieces attached and sanded/smoothed down.
I had also drilled a hole down the middle of this dowel for the connecting aluminum rod.
Next, I painted the blade black. I also made sure the cross was the correct size.
Now I painted the smaller pieces silver.
I then masked off the blade so that I could paint the edges silver. In hindsight, it would have been easier to do the silver first and then mask of the edges.
I then painted the L black and silver and attached the triangle pieces with some E-6000 glue.
I forgot to take pictures of painting the hilt, but it was pretty straight forward. I then used some JB Weld to glue the aluminum rod inside the blade and hilt. JB Weld is the best choice when you want to glue metal to some other material such as wood or plastic. It all slotted in nicely and this was the end result.
I do not have the scabbard completed yet, but I will be updating this build with the scabbard once it is complete.