This build will describe what I did for creating the Dragon Scaled Tessaiga from the anime Inuyasha.
My first step was to create a google sketchup model. You can grab my file here: Dragon Scaled Tessaiga Sketchup Model
Next, I traced out the pattern 4 times onto a sheet of blue insulation foam that I got from Lowes. 2 blade pieces for each side, making it the whole blade 2 inches thick. I believe I used a hot wire gun to cut this, but a sharp utility knife or a jigsaw will cut through this well enough.
Next, I marked out 2 channels on 2 pieces of the cut out blade. This is where the poplar wood stick will go that will support the blade. I had used a 1/4″ thick piece of wood. I should have used at least 1/2″, I had to improvise later on.
Using a dremel with a router guide attachment, I removed the foam from this channel.
If I had used thicker wood to begin with, I would have made the channel deeper. Next I glued all of the pieces together. I used wood glue… that was not very smart. Wood glue requires a breathable material to dry properly. I highly recommend Liquid Nails (for Foam Board) for any foam gluing.
With all the pieces glued together, I did the next step. Lots of sanding. Thankfully I have a random orbit sander, so it sanded away quickly and nicely.
Next I coated the entire blade with wood glue to seal it.
Next, I fiberglassed the entire blade. The resin is quite toxic, so be sure to wear a respirator mask. Also, only work with as much as you can get done in ~10 minutes. After that, the resin starts to harden and you can not reposition the cloth.
After the fiberglass was all set, I did a rough sanding and then applied bondo over the entire blade. Then sanded and sanded and sanded.
After sanding, then doing another coat of bondo, followed by more sanding, I had my nice smooth blade. It was now time to paint it to look like a tooth. I believe I used vanilla spray paint.
Next I did some test fitting of the white fur and leather. I got both from hobby lobby. The leather was a large beige square, so I had to cut 1″ strips.
And finally, the scales. I used the dark green craft foam sheets and cut out a scale pattern… many many times.
Each scale was glued on with E-6000. I also made use of rubber bands to help hold the scales in place while the glue dried.
All that was left was to glue on the fur and the leather for the hilt grip and it was complete!