This build is Asuna’s Lambent Light from the anime Sword Art Online.
For this sword, I did not have to 3D design much. Thanks to Jackarage, I was able to skip the design phase and jump into making the sword a reality.
So with his 3D file I was able to get STL files to send over to my 3D printer. I did have to split the hilt model as it was too large for my printer. First up, the 3D printed parts:
Take note, I did drill a 1/4 inch hole through the hilt pieces so that I could fit a 1/4 inch aluminum rod down the middle to hole everything together.
The leaf detail on the blade was not printing out correctly from his model, so I did have to create a simple sketchup model for it.
Next, I sanded down all the parts then did an acetone wipe down to smooth out the ABS plastic. I then bondoed any gaps there were and sanded and then finally primed. Initial sanding was done with 80 grit sandpaper, followed by 120 grit, then finally 220 grit.
And of course after priming, it needed to be sanded again, but after that final sanding everything was smooth. I forgot to take a picture of the wooden blade portion, but it was cut out with a bandsaw and then I used a router to do the edging. But you can see it in some of the previous pictures. The entire wood blade was one piece (including the portion that goes into the circle part of the hilt). I did add bondo between the wood part and the plastic circle part to help hold it in place better.
Next, I proceeded to coat the entire sword in silver spray paint.
With the silver applied, it was an easy matter of painting the rest with a teal colored acrylic paint. I painted it by hand as trying to mask it with tape and spraying would have been far too time consuming.
With all of the pieces painted, I could now connect everything with glue. I attached the aluminum rod with JB Weld steel epoxy glue. I attached the other detail parts with E-6000. I also cast 2 blue gems with Tap Plastics Clear Cast resin.
And finally, we end up with the completed sword. I will be doing a more generic write up on scabbards I build. I generally build them all the same way. The scabbard body is made of 1/4 inch birch plywood and the interior is covered with black felt fabric to protect the blade. Details on the scabbard were done with a 3D printer but could easily be done with styrene.